Friday, December 17, 2010

Hometown

---

Where is my hometown?

My hometown is a journey.

A journey that I walked alone, with God in pursuit of me. He was nearer than I realized.

I could go on a pilgrimage and sew the pieces of my life together with car-thread and heart-stitches. But the pieces are not all in one place, waiting to welcome me when I return.

Where is my hometown?

I could pick a place I've lived so that I have an answer to your question. But it seems you are looking for something more, something that has deep meaning for you.

Something I do not have.

Is there a place out there where I feel like "one of the locals"? If there is, I haven't been there yet!

I still don't have a clue of how to raise a pig.
I still don't understand why suburbanites edge their lawns, or worse, put chemicals on them.
I still can't handle the sustained pace and intensity of 3 million people sharing such a small space.

I long for heaven, where I can be with my Father and with our whole family, glorifying Him in all our unique ways.

In the meantime, I am here.

Here,
in this city of roses and stumps,
coffee and natural beauty,
rain and weirdness,
I am growing roots.
 
 
---

No comments:

Post a Comment