Saturday, July 9, 2016

This Hand


As I headed in to work on Thursday, after learning of the second gut-wrenching tragedy in two days, all I could think of was this hand.













This hand that I hold before I head off to work.

This hand that brings me my morning coffee, and comforts me when I'm sad.

For many white people, this hand is as frightening as a gun. 

Why are people afraid when they see dark skin? Why does a Black person on a walk look like they're "scoping the neighborhood"? Why does a Black person in a parked car look "suspicious"?

Because an entire society of people has been trained to view them that way. This is what helped our ancestors feel better about abducting dark-skinned people from their homes, bringing them to another country, and forcing them to do free manual labor.

Because we're afraid of anger - and if anyone has a reason to be angry, it would be the people-group enslaved by our ancestors.

Because the media has trained us to associate dark skin with crime.

It's true that we need better accountability for the police force. (Let's get on that!)

But it goes much further and deeper than that.

We need to eradicate our societal fear of dark skin. I'm not sure how, but perhaps it starts with reversing all the techniques that got us to this place.

I believe this happens best in the context of relationship. We need to figure out how to be in community with one another. To worship God together, to serve together, to share our lives. 

I believe there is a clear connection between the segregation that happens on Sunday mornings and the pervasive lack of understanding of the reality of what it is like to be Black in America.

Church segregation began during slavery. While many institutions have become integrated over the last few decades, Protestant churches seem to be bringing up the rear. Less than 10% of Protestant churches in the United States are multi-ethnic.

That means over 90% of Protestant churches are still primarily segregated by race.

90%.

In 2016.

Lord, have mercy.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, Holly! Thank you. I agree- relationship. And Sunday mornings. I was so grateful to focus my energy this week on preparing to lead 12 different congregations (many different nations/languages/etc) as we came together today to worship Jesus. Thank you for your voice and your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, and for doing what you do! Miss you!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful meditation. Couldn't agree with you more. I told my hubby it should be mandatory for police officers to do community service across racial lines in the communities they serve. This would change how they see the people they serve and theoretically protect, and this would make people less distrustful of the police. They would know and be known. Why can't we make this happen?! But I also agree about the segregation in churches. I was unbelievably blessed to be in my incredibly multicultural church this morning affirming that black lives matter, praying together for lives lost, for police officers, against racism, etc. and holding hands and singing. I really wished everyone could have been at my church this morning. Love to you and Jelani! -Shataia

    ReplyDelete