Friday, April 9, 2010

What does love smell like?

A few years ago, I had the privilege of accompanying the Servant Year interns on a mission trip to Spain where we got to assist with an amazing conference called ContraCorriente. As a side trip, I got to visit my second cousins who are missionaries in Madrid.

It was fun watching their family in action - just doing the regular daily activities:

  • Playing in the park
  • Stopping at the meat market and the produce market (reminded me of Sesame Street!)
  • Picking up kids from school
  • Going to ballet lessons
  • Learning English with mom
  • Reading bedtime stories
  • Playing chess (yes, their kids were smarter than me, even then!)
They seemed to really enjoy one another - loving each other throughout the daily tasks.

One thing I will never forget is how every fabric in their home smelled so good. The sheets on the bed, the clothes their children wore, the hand towel in the bathroom...

I was fascinated by this, because by the time I pulled my clothes out of my closet at home, they certainly didn't smell like laundry detergent anymore! I just had to buy some of this amazing Spanish detergent and take it home with me!

Once I got home, I searched and searched for a laundry detergent that smelled that good, even after the clothes came out of the dryer. I never did find any.

Several years have passed, and the smell of my laundry detergent isn't as important to me as it once was. I realize now why I was so devoted to getting that smell in my home...

It smelled like love.

What I really longed for, without realizing it, was a home filled with love.

It reminds me of another smell that makes me smile...the smell of bacon cooking. I imagine myself waking up at Grandma's house to that wonderful smell, knowing that this was a special meal for special guests - and that included me! :)

Now, I find myself going about my precious few days at home, loving my God and loving my husband and getting LOTS of love in return. And I don't think too much about what it smells like.

It makes me wonder - when i have kids and they grow up... what will love smell like to them?

What about you?

What does love smell like to you?


---

2 comments:

  1. My Grandma's house always smells like yarn. Often I'll take out the afghan she crocheted for me and just inhale the beautiful scent that means "Grandma."
    Isn't it amazing how our minds associate sounds and smells with people and events in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a smell that always reminds me of gymnastics. Mainly it's the smell of the gym, equipment, and even the feel of the chalk. It reminds me of a time when I was competing and I had no worries during that brief moment.

    ReplyDelete