Sunday, January 3, 2010

Centered and Free



What if I lived the contemplative life?

What if I allowed myself the space to draw near to God? To take delight in Him and in His creation? To think and to clear my mind and allow His thoughts to enter in.

What if I treated myself as I would treat those I most honor?

What if I lived a CENTERED life?

I don't want to live a self-centered life. I don't want to live an others-centered life (this sounds very pious, but is in fact quite tumultuous). I don't want to live an un-centered life. I want to live a God-centered life.

Why is it that the path to a God-centered life FEELS self-centered? I have to say no to others in order to create space to find God and draw near to Him.

I can hear the critics in my mind:

"It must be nice to have all that time to think."

People who feel trapped will often, unintentionally, make you feel guilty for being free.

I refuse to remain trapped. My King has set me free.

I will not work my fingers to the bone trying to save the world. God is the only one who can save the world. He already sent His Son to die so that every person has the choice to be free. If I run myself ragged and white-knuckled through life, how will they see what freedom looks like? If I talk as someone who is trapped, how will I offer anyone a way out of their trap?

By living in freedom, we offer an invitation to those around us to be free.


---

1 comment: